Thursday, June 7, 2012

The best laid plans....

I hadn't been feeling great this week after running hard at the Miles of Mooresville, and I had a huge blister on the bottom of my foot, so my plan today was to take things relatively easily on a 6-mile run. I decided that an 8-minute pace should be fairly easy, and things started out in roughly that fashion.

But by Mile 2 I was cruising along quite a bit faster than an 8-minute pace. I ended up finishing the mile in 7:45. Naturally for Mile 3 I wanted to go a little faster, and despite a steep hill in the middle of the mile, I did it in 7:30. Now I was on a bit of a mission, and Mile 4 went by in 7:10. How long could I keep this up? Not long, it turned out -- Mile 5 included 121 feet of climbing and I slowed to 7:25. But now I hade another idea. I was approaching the stadium at Davidson College. Why not add some stairs to the mix? I ran into the stadium and did 30 reps on the stairs.

Now I was fully and truly spent, and it was all I could do to jog the mile back home.

It was a good workout, and with the stairs, I don't think I taxed my body as much as if I had tried running intervals or hitting tempo pace. But easy it was not!

My main concern is getting rid of this blister. It didn't bother me too much today, but it is definitely an annoying wrench in my running. Hopefully it will be gone before it really starts bugging me. Details of today's workout are below.



No comments:

Post a Comment