Friday, June 24, 2011

Finally starting to get the hang of this

Today was my fourth run carrying water bottles, and I think I'm finally starting to get used to it. I don't have guns of steel or anything, but I didn't have that feeling of total exhaustion I experienced the first few times I did it. Today I went out for a 5.5-mile recovery run, the same sort of run that slayed me last week. But while I wasn't exactly effortlessly tripping along, I actually felt pretty good, despite a temperature in the 70s and very high humidity.

Meanwhile another part of my body wasn't feeling so great: I was starting to feel a little discomfort in my IT bands, despite -- or perhaps because of -- my new exercise regimen. I've been pretty good about doing an abdominal workout every day I'm not doing a hard run, but now I'm starting to think that's part of the problem. The workout I do, based partly on Pilates, involves a fair amount of lateral leg motion that could be involving the IT bands too heavily. I think I'm going to try more standard leg lifts and see if that alleviates the problem.

Otherwise it was an enjoyable morning run, 5.58 miles at a 9:45 pace. Details are below:


No comments:

Post a Comment